Sunday, March 8, 2015

Five Cedar Rustic Birdhouses

New and Rescued Lumber

["Stock for four more cabins and five basic BHs"]

This batch of cedar birdhouses was first mentioned, briefly, while I was working on 7 log cabins from rescued lumber. One can see a short stack of faces (fronts and backs) sitting off to the right in the above photo. The log cabins were finished earlier in the week, and the 'five basic BHs' or rustics were finished yesterday.

Now it's time to show them off a bit:

 [Faces are new cedar fence boards. Roof slats are rescued western cedar]

 [Sides are two pieces of rescued cedar. Base is 5" x 6" scrap plywood/other]

[Front edges of roof are covered with neat, thin trim
in order to hide butt ends of roof slats]

You got off easy. When I worked on six triplexes last month I posted at least a dozen sets of photos about the process.

[The sides are attached to the outer edges of the front and back faces;
the butt ends of the sides are hidden by thin strips of cedar trim]

Where did I rescue such lovely western cedar for the roofs, sides, trim, and some bases? I will say from three separate sources, at least, and the main source was Joe Flagler, a fellow who renovated his dock in Fenelon Falls and thought of me when he heard the cost of sending old cedar to a landfill site was going to cost a great deal.

Though I paid $500 to have the old cedar shipped to my backyard, I saved Mr. Flagler at least $1,000 and have already paid for shipping with the use of only a small handful of the boards. I say, rescuing good lumber will pay dividends.

Have you rescued materials or cast-off items that paid you dividends? Tell me the story. Send a photo.

Cheers,

GH 

Link to Welcome to the Workshop 2

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment