Thursday, April 9, 2015

Barnboard BH w Twist 1

BB Specials w Wonky Bottoms


'Gray on both sides' barnboard is pleasant to use, and disappearing quickly, so I will soon order another load for weekend pick up. The last load is turning into birdhouses faster than usual because of a couple of new ideas I've tried, e.g., fancy duplexes among them.

"Fancy schmancy duplexes"


Last week I finished off some basic barnboard BHs (e.g., above), and liked the results, so I thought I'd try a larger model. By larger I mean taller, wider and with a bit of panache (that's not a cheese spread). I  sketched one idea that held promise, with 30% more floor space than the earlier basic model, but it came with a challenge - a  wonky bottom.



I measured and cut stock for four 'BB specials' (w a twist) and lined them up before working on the wonky bottoms. Just seconds away from cutting a small rectangle and trimming away bits to fit the new birdhouses, an idea struck. Make the rectangle larger, I thought. Let the BH rest atop a platform. Easy kap-easy.



In a matter of minutes 'the wonky bottom challenge' was over. Sure, I took the easy way out but I think birds will enjoy the extra square inches for a long time.

Thumbs up, I say.

More to follow.

Link to Basic Barnboard BH 4

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment