Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Basic Barnboard BH 1

Measurements By Memory

 [The notebook page is almost blank. I know some measurements by heart]

Once I decide to build a batch of basic birdhouses I can write down a few dimensions by memory. For example, front and back faces should always be about 9 in. high by 6 in. wide at the very least. So, I made the faces 8.5 by 6.5 on these models. Solid, squatty, that's what I'm going for on these barnboard beauties.

[Sides (brown) are from rescued fir, from a neighbour's old door frame]

Sides are 6 in. long and 4.5 inches high. The base is 6 by 5 (30 square inches is excellent amount of space for most songbirds). Four roof slats are 9 in. long by 3 in. wide. Trim comes later, on a 'full-on trim day', after every piece for five 'basics' is cut and sanded.

Stay tuned.


Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment