Thursday, October 1, 2015

Log Cabins 6

Swept Up in Cabins


Every day, right around 5 PM (moments before Happy Hour), I sweep the dust from the floor and tidy up the workshop a bit. Occasionally, I discover I have enough happy scrappy odds and ends of lumber big enough to build another birdhouse or two. And log cabins are my 'go-to' model if I feel I can cut sturdy triangles and roof slats out of the scraps, and - my eyes are peeled - there are enough good cedar leftovers to produce a pile of solid logs.


I need two triangles, four roof slats, 28 logs (4 logs x 7 tiers), a 5 x 6-inch base and a bit of trim for each cabin, so when it comes time to sand all the pieces I have my hands full. A sunny, breezy day, however, makes life easy just outside my shop door.



"Pine barnboard triangles and roof slats sit atop cedar logs"

Next steps. Paint the white pine roof of the first one, then assemble the second one. No paint will be required on the grey pine surface of the rood slats (hiding under the logs - above right).

I can almost say "easy kap-easy".

Link to Log Cabins 5

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment