Friday, November 27, 2015

G.H. Models 2

One Step Closer

An original J.R. birdhouse. From teak w 1/4" aluminum plate roof.
Photo credit - modernbirdhouses.com

I know that early J.R. birdhouses (above) look like an easy type to build - a rectangular box with a flat, sturdy roof - but they were not. Start looking for teak, aluminum plating and chromium screws and you'll see why.

The ones I'm building - from rescued cedar slats - are perhaps just a touch easier to put together, and I call them the G.H. with a tip of the hat to J.R. Davidson. That being said, mine do require a lot more parts (20 in all) and therefore more sanding and assembly time than my standard birdhouses.

Thankfully, the sander makes my job easier.


"12 rectangles, 1 roof, 2 roof supports, 1 base and
4 interior braces per G.H. house. Lots to sand"

More details to follow.

Link to J. R. Models

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment