Friday, June 17, 2016

Rietveld Crate Chairs: 1937 Design

The History of the Rietveld Chair (Concocted)

"So, I cleverly copied Gerrit's design.... and guessed the measurements."

Several years ago, while thumbing through a book about Adirondack chairs, I spotted a lovely photo of two chairs that didn't fit the script. The chairs were created by Gerrit Rietveld, produced in 1937 and called the 'Rietveld crate chair'.

I said to myself, "I like how they look. All straight lines. I can do this. And I like the name. I bet Gerrit was just looking around his factory at the end of a long day for a place to sit down. Poor guy was tired. Running a business is stressful. And he saw some leftover lumber usually used to make shipping crates. So, he made himself a crate chair. I tip my hat to the fella."

So, I cleverly copied Gerrit's design - as seen in the photo - and guessed the measurements. My numbers have worked out great over the years, though I modify them from time to time, depending on the lumber I use, and how tall and wide my clients are. The rest, as they say, is history.

 Stock for four Rietveld chairs is piling up (Little Library not included)

 The lumber (red cedar, white pine) will blend together nicely as it ages

Rietveld crate chairs increase dramatically in value as they age!!
Albatros Crate Chair by Gerrit Rietveld - $17, 475
Get Your Crate Chair Today - Photo Link

Call GH today for a more reasonable offer! : )

Please link to Log Cabins from Board and Batten (3)

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment