Wednesday, May 17, 2017

First Batches of the Birdhouse Season (4).

Paint, More Paint and J.R. Davidson

2 of 11 pine birdhouses are in the paint studio (aka basement).

Eleven pine birdhouses need a second coat, then I can start first coats on trim for 18 cedar models, seen lined up like ducks in a row in the background, top photograph.

Over the years I have studied a few birdhouses made by others (admittedly, I steal a few ideas here and there). J.R. Davidson models - also known as JRs - originally made of teak, aluminum plating (roof) and chromium screws, caught my eye 5 or 6 years ago (please link to Modern Birdhouses) and I now make my own version from premium cedar, with a fir plywood roof and brass screws.

GHs in progress:

 Each GH is made from 12 blocks of premium cedar. Marine varnish next.

 Another 'quicker' version of the GH, made from 4 cedar slats

I cut horizontal grooves in each slat, to look like 12 blocks and trim.

Painted plywood roofs are next.


Please link to First Batches of the Birdhouse Season (3).

Photos GH

No comments:

Post a Comment